History and Milestones
Khai Wah Battery & Tyre Pte Ltd (“Khai Wah”) is one of Singapore’s most established automotive battery, tyre and wheel companies. Started by brothers Goh Khai Poh and Goh Kai See in 1950, Khai Wah began as a small bicycle and car battery shop along Rochor Canal Road (presently where Sim Lim Square).
1950s: During this period, Singapore prospered and benefited from increased trade with Malaysia. Since the shop was along Bukit Timah Road – the main trading route connecting Singapore to Malaysia – the Goh Brothers astutely decided to focus solely on
the passenger car tyre and automotive batteries trade.
Khai Wah started selling Firestone tyres from the U.S and Exide batteries from Great Britain. Because of Khai Wah’s success in selling
Firestone Tyres, Khai Wah was appointed as the sole distributor in Singapore.
1960s: Bridgestone appointed Khai Wah as a local dealer for
its passenger car tyres.
1970s: Khai Wah was one of the pioneers for automotive alloy wheels in Singapore, being the sole distributor of ROH (Australia) wheels for Singapore, Malaysia, Indonesia, Brunei, and Thailand, during a time when alloy wheels were seen as a luxury car accessory.
Khai Wah also picked up the sole distributorship for Dunlop (UK) alloy wheels. It was significant for Khai Wah as Dunlop was already a household name in Southeast Asia.
1990s: Khai Wah clinched a deal with Toyota Cars Singapore to supply Fondmetal alloy rims as
Original Equipment ("OE") wheels for Toyota cars from 1990 to 1995.
2000s: Bridgestone awarded Khai Wah as one of its top dealers for consecutive years
between 2002 and 2006.
Khai Wah was appointed as sole distributor for Uniroyal
tyres in 2005.
Presently, the company is being managed by Chairman Goh Kai See and 4 of his children: Florence, Fred, Donny and Eric.